Phonics is a method for teaching reading and writing. It develops phonemic awareness - the ability to hear, recognise and use the sounds within words. Learners are taught the correspondence between sounds and the graphemes (spelling patterns) that represent them.
In Early Years and KS1, we use the DfE validated Twinkl Phonics. It has been deemed to meet all the criteria for an effective systematic synthetic phonics programme.
Underpinning all of this is its proven pedagogy providing the perfect foundation for fluent independent reading:
- Features daily lessons from the start of Early Years.
- Teaches the main grapheme-phoneme correspondences of English in a clearly defined, incremental sequence
- Gets children reading and spelling from very early on
- Includes blending for reading and segmenting for spelling activities
- Provides opportunities for children to practice and apply known phoneme-grapheme correspondence for spelling through dictation of sounds, words and sentences
- Features language sessions that teach 'tricky' common exception words
- Provides resources that support the teaching of lower-case and capital letters correctly, with clear start and finish points
- Includes direct teaching sessions, with extensive teacher-child interaction and involves a multi-sensory approach
- Has reading texts that closely match what has been taught up to that point
- Includes assessments and support for the lowest 20%
- Provides remote learning capabilities via eBooks, allocatable teaching screens and phonics games.